Now that I have an abundance of honey on my hands due to my recent honey crop, I have been trying all sorts of recipes that have this natural sweetener. And for good reason too. It has been known to boost antioxidant levels, curb cholesterol and even improve your G.I. health. For more on the health benefits of honey, please check out this article.
To celebrate my 2011 honey crop (I am a bona fide beekeeper as well) I am going going to give away a jar of my locally sourced honey (bees do after all travel up to 5 miles for nectar. Who would have thought?!) when Gastronome Tart on Facebook reaches 100 "likes". The winner will be selected at random. Due to international restrictions on agricultural products, this giveaway is only open to those in the US :(
So head on over to my page by clicking this link or by clicking the Facebook button to the right to enter and start thinking about all those yummy honey recipes as I have been this past month!
Strawberry Honey Napoleon with Cardamom Whipped Cream
1 pint of Strawberries, sliced
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon Cardamom
1/2 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1. Line 1 baking sheets with parchment paper. On a floured surface, roll out pastry dough to slightly less than 1/8 inch thick. Prick the dough with the tines of a fork. Using a 3- inch round or flower shaped cookie cutter, cut out 4 identical pieces. Transfer the cutouts to the baking sheets. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and place another piece of parchment paper directly on top of the cutouts. Place another baking sheet on top of the parchment paper. Bake, rotating halfway, until pastry is golden around the edges, about 15 minutes. Remove the top baking sheet and parchment paper; continue baking until pasty is golden in the center, 5-7 minutes more. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
3. As the puff pastry is cooling, add the honey to the sliced strawberries in a bowl. Stir and set aside.
4. Add the heavy cream, cardamom, and powdered sugar to a mixer bowl and mix on high with the whisk attachment until the cream is whipped. About 1-2 minutes.
5. Assemble. Place one of the pastry cutouts on a plate, top with some whipped cream and strawberry mixture, top with another pastry cutout and whipped cream with some strawberries. Enjoy!